Criminal Record Check
$35.00 – Regular Check (tax included)
$10.00 – Volunteer for a non-profit organization
- You must be a resident of Saint John to apply.
- The processing time for a criminal background check is ten days from the time of submission.
- No same-day service.
- Expedited service available for $100.00.
Vulnerable Sector Screening
- A vulnerable sector check determines whether a person has a criminal record or a sexual offence conviction for which they’ve received a pardon.
- In some cases, fingerprints may be required for submission to the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records.
- A vulnerable sector check must be carried out if you’re applying to work in a paid or volunteer position where you’ll be in contact with children under the age of 18 or with vulnerable persons.
- A vulnerable person is anyone who is in a position of dependence on others or are otherwise at greater risk than the general population of being harmed by persons in a position of authority or trust relative to them.
- Examples of such positions include teachers, social workers, daycare workers, and children’s sports coaches.
Youth Criminal Record Checks for Civil Purposes
Due to changes in Section 119(1) of the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) defines who has the authority to access the criminal records of youth under age 18. Per section 119(1)(o) of the Act, youth criminal record checks are only allowed for the purposes of employment (with or without remuneration) with Federal, Provincial, or Municipal Governments. Access to, and disclosure of youth information for private employment, or other purposes not defined in the YCJA is prohibited.
To apply for a criminal background check online, click the button below. You must be able to verify your identity to use the online process.
Click the button below:
Updated Payment Information:
Apply in person
Apply in Person Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
1 Peel Plaza, Main Lobby, Saint John, NB
To obtain a Criminal Background Check in person, you must present:
- Two pieces of government-issued ID that confirm your name, date of birth, and Saint John address.
- One of your pieces of ID must include a photo.
- Out of town/country students must present their current student ID card.
- A letter on agency letterhead from the organization requesting the check that includes the applicant’s name, whether they will be working with or be responsible for children or vulnerable people, whether the application is for volunteer or paid employment, and the full name and title of person requiring the check, with full contact information.
Fingerprints Tuesdays and Wednesdays by appointment only.
If you need a set of fingerprints, you must be a resident of the City of Saint John and must produce two pieces of appropriate identification that confirms your name, date of birth and address.
One piece of identification presented must include a photo.
- Cost is $35.00 (tax included)
- No Fee if applying to volunteer for a non-profit organization.
1 Peel Plaza
Saint John, NB E2L 0E1